Object Title

Cuisse and poleyn

Cuisse and poleyn

Date

1800-1899

Object Number

III.2561

Provenance

Accessioned Middle Flint Tower 1987. Returned from loan to Dover Castle, previously part of II.1.

Physical Description

Each cuisse is formed of five plates, as is each poleyn. A side plate with a short upper extension plate is attached to the outer edge if each cuisse by three hinges. The main plate is decorated with four flutes in chevron formation as is the lowest plate of the poleyn. All plates are restored. Bright.

Inscriptions and Marks

none

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

Removed from the composite armour II.1 probably in the late 1950's when they were replaced by cuisses from the Hearst collection. Lent to Dover Castle as part of a composite armour until 1981.