Object Title

Left pauldron and vambrace

Left pauldron and vambrace

Date

1570

Object Number

III.2684

Provenance

Re-accessioned from Middle Flint Tower, 1987. Probably from one of the armours formerly on loan 7 to Dover Castle (II.53-62) from Malta, 1826.

Physical Description

The pauldron is composed of seven plates, the vambrace of an upper cannon with a turner, a bracelet couter, and a lower cannon. The main plate of the pauldron is embossed with spiral volutes at the front and rear. The main edges have roped inward turns with sunken borders, that of the pauldron formerly having eighteen lining rivets of which twelve remain. The subsidiary edges are bordered by single incised lines. The turner and couter have roped transverse ridges. The inner plate of the lower cannon lacks a sunken border, and this element is hinged on one side, and riveted on the other.

Inscriptions and Marks

Each lame of the pauldron, except the main plate, and the turner have four marks inside their upper edges.

Associations

Places Italy