Object Title





Object Number


Physical Description

Fitted to XII.241. Brass hilt with waisted grip, short quillons turned towards the blade and closed side-shell. A rectangular socket is brazed to the inner side of the grip. A lug on a sprung bar, which would have been attached to the socket to secure it to the gun, is missing. Straight, single-edged blade.


BladeLength22.6 in
OverallLength27.1 in

Inscriptions and Marks

On the grip (check), engraved: No. 127.


Bibliographic References

C ffoulkes, Inventory and survey of the armouries of the Tower of London, London, HMSO, 1916, II, pp. 320, 360.

J Watts and P White, The bayonet book, n.p., 1975, COMPLETE - 'Austrian'.


According to ffoulkes (1916), X.127 was of the same pattern (X.127 was disposed of in 1920 according to the Typed Inventory). X.126 was then and still is on XII.241 and X.127 was on XII.242 (ffoulkes 1916, II: 360). (According to the Typed Inventory and other records, the gun XII.242 was disposed of with the bayonet X.127 in 1920, so the present XII.242 may be an unnumbered one taken from stores and put on the same number). XII.241 and 242 are now two of five similar jõger rifles, possibly some of those supplied for the Prince of Orange's Corps in about 1795 (for further details see Typed Inventory entry for XII.241). Given that XII.240-243 are all similar, ffoulkes's (1916) entries do not make sense because he describes XII.240 differently from XII.241-243, opening up the possibility that the objects now on those numbers may not be the same. However, they do all have bayonet fixing bars of the right shape to fit X.126, though the quality of the fit varies and none is perfect. X.123 and X.124 (found to be missing in 1959) are of a a different but related pattern. X.124 was formerly on XII.243, but probably did not originally belong (see entry for X.123, under Notes, for further details). The precise origin, date and identification of this bayonet and of XII.241 and the four other similar rifles are presently uncertain. (PJL, 27/01/04).
There are a number of bayonets of the same pattern (some with and some without the side-ring) in the hall at Culzean Castle, Ayrshire (National Trust for Scotland). These are likely to have been among a alrge quantity of obsolete weapons sold to the owner of the Castle in 1812 to decorate the hall. PJL has further details. (PJL, 27/01/04).