Object Title

Sword

Sword

Date

about 1896-1920

Object Number

IX.1298

Provenance

(none stated in IBE, possibly found un-numbered in store)

Physical Description

Hilt: Steel hilt consisting of a sheet knuckle-guard pierced for the sword knot and projecting to form a crude scroll quillon, black-painted, ribbed cast iron grip and oval top nut. The back end of the guard is shaped to suggest a quillon. The buff piece is lacking.


Blade: Curved, single-edged blade, widening to a rounded hatchet point and a broad fuller at the back extending from the short ricasso to approx. 200 mm (8 in.) from the tip.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Overall length: approx. 902 mm (35 1/2 in.), Blade length: 755 mm (29 3/4 in.), Blade width, by hilt: 38 mm (1 1/2 in.) Weight: 1.130 kg (2 lb. 8 oz.)

Inscriptions and Marks

On guard, on root of rear 'quillon', stamped: F.W.A over 2.01.On underside of top-nut: stamped (seen when dismantled some time ago but not recently checked).On blade, on outside, on ricasso, stamped: A and R conjoined.On blade, on spine, stamped: ROBT MOLE & SONS / BIRMINGHAM.On blade, on tang: SB; 6 or 9 (seen when dismantled some time ago but not recently checked).

Associations

Bibliographic References

P.J. Lankester and G. Rimer, 'A 19th-century chest of arms', Royal Armouries Yearbook, III, 1998, pp. 77-108, at pp. 97 (general discussion), 102-3 (brief catalogue entry).

Notes

IX.1297 similarly differs from the standard 1896 Mountain Artillery pattern in having the 'rearguard' shaped to resemble a quillon (rather longer on IX.1298) and an oval (rather than round) top-nut (serving as a tang-button).
For the 1896 pattern Mountain Artillery sword generally, see references and information under IX.1300 (under Notes). For swords of the 1896 pattern in the Royal Armouries and other swords with similar blades, see IX.1300 (under Notes).
The mark F.W.A. over 2.01 indicates that the sword was issued at Fort William Arsenal [Calcutta] in February 1901 (see letter of 28 May 1999 from David Harding, on inv. file).
The maker's name of Robert Mole and Son was in use from about 1855 to about 1920 (see W.E. May and P.G.W. Annis, 'Swords for Sea Service', 2 vols (cont. pag.), London, 1970, p. 319).