Object Title

Sword

Sword

Date

1910-1922

Object Number

IX.1309

Provenance

Provenance unknown (no information in typed inventory). The sword (for the scabbard, see Notes) was probably first accessioned after being found unnumbered in store, probably around 1972/73 (to judge by surrounding entries in the typed inventory which have dates). It was registered at the Imperial War Museum (evidently with its scabbard) on 12 January 1927 (reg. no. 15759) when it was stated to have been transferred from the Tower. Sword and scabbard were evidently later returned.

Physical Description

Nickel plated steel guard with cypher of King George V (the guard of smaller than normal size for this pattern). Blade of standard pattern type but narrower than normal, lightly etched in reserve with foliage and a crowned GR V cypher. At rhe base of the blade, on the outside in a proof mark of the usual form (within a six-pointed star), the word 'PROVED' surrounding a P; on the inside, etched in reserve, 'S. J. PILLIN / 31 GERRARD ST. / LONDON W.'

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length overall: 978 mm (38.5 in), length of blade: 793 mm (32.25 in) Weight: 600 g (1 lb 5 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

On blade, on inside, near hilt, in red paint: 15759 (an Imperial War Museum registration number).

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

W.E. May and P.G.W. Annis, Swords for Sea Service, 2 vols (cont. pag.), London, 1970, p.

Notes

Although separately numbered, the Imperial War Museum registration number shows that it originally belonged with the (Sam Browne type) scabbard IX.3940 (which has the same IWM number).
For this pattern generally see B. Robson, 'Swords of the British Army...', revised [2nd] edn, London, 1996, pp. 165-8, Pls 158-9. This is clearly a light or picket weight version of the standard 1897 pattern infantry officer's sword. However, it is presumably not for dress or levee occasions since it has a leather rather than a plated steel scabbard (see Robson 1996, p. 168).
The makers S.J. Pillin are recorded by W.E. May and P.G.W. Annis, 'Swords for Sea Service', 2 vols (cont. pag.), London, 1970, p. 298, at 31 Gerrard Street, Soho, between 1862 and 1922 whewn they were absorbed into Wilkinsons.