Object Title

Iron chamber

Iron chamber

Date

1500-1530

Object Number

XIX.7

Provenance

Excavated at Passage, County Cork, Ireland. Together with a 6 ft iron cannon from Brandon, Co. Cork, it formed lot 470 at Christie's sale of the Earl of Londesborough's collections on 6 July 1888. After a complaint from the original donor, a Mr Leeler, the lot was withdrawn and the two pieces presented by the Earl to the Tower. The cannon, which was No.XIX.6 in the 1916 Inventory, was disposed of in 1968.

Physical Description

For a built-up iron gun. It is fitted with an eyed hoop retaining one lifting ring. The forward end is reduced in diameter to fit into the breech of the gun

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 16 in (40.6cm)

Calibre

3.25 in (8.3cm)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.57.