Object Title

Hanger

Hanger

Date

1700-1799

Object Number

IX.201

Provenance

Acquired by exchange from Mr A.N.A.T. Miller of Collectors' Arms Antiques Ltd, December 1966.

Physical Description

Brass hilt consisting of a spherical pommel with tang-button and stand, knuckle-guard made in one with a shell-guard with rear quillon; and grip with wavy reeding to the outside and immitations ferrules at each end. The end of the knuckle-guard is attached to the pommel by a large screw. The pommel is engraved with the arms of the Corporation of the City of London below a royal crown and flanked by the initials R F. Behind the arms is an anchor. The shell guard is divided centrally by, on the outside, a raised rib, and on the inside, a raised ridge.


The slightly curved single-edged blade has a vestigial ricasso and a fuller near the back on each face which rises approx. 100 mm (4 in) from the hilt and extends for approx. 510 mm (20 in). The point is broken off and there is a nick to the forward edge approx. 75 mm (3 in) from the (present) tip. The forte is engraved or etched on both sides with the crowned monogram EA II, possibly for Ernst-August II of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (see Notes). Below this are, on the outside, S(?) and, on the inside, by the forward edge, 17, probably the first two digits of a date (see Notes).

Dimensions

Dimensions: Overall length: approx. 840 mm (33 in), blade length: 688 mm (27.1 in), blade width, at hilt: 42 mm (1.6 in) Weight: 1180 g (2 lb 10 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

On hilt, on knuckle-guard, on outside, stamped: three marks: one illegible, the others apparently E(?) and P.On hilt, on knuckle-guard, on inside, stamped: H and another character.On grip, on inside, stamped: illegible mark, possibly M or W.On hilt, on knuckle-guard, one blade side, forward of the blade: AA(?).On blade, on ricasso, on outside, stamped: A or V(?).On blade, on ricasso, stamped: two illegible marks, one resembly an X and the other a D.

Associations

Places Germany

Notes

The size of the hanger suggests that it was made for use in a grenadier company, and later brought to London where it was carried by an officer of the River Fencibles of the City of London. The device on the pommel is similar to that on a certificate of membership dated 1806 (Guildhall Library Add. MS 153 - p-copy on inv. file). Units of River Fencibles were first raised in 1798, as an extension of the Sea Fencibles, formed earlier that year (letter of 19 Jan. 1967 from Philip Annis of the National Maritme Museum (on inv. file)). The London River Fencibles were raised in 1803 (C. Sebag-Montefiore, 'A History of the Volunteer Forces...', London 1908, p. 272 ff (p-copy on inv. file). The units of River Fencibles were mostly dispanded in 1812 (F.C. Bowen, 'London River Volunteers', 'P.L.A. Monthly', pp. 215-6 (p-copy on inv. file). For other references and correspondence, see inv. file.
The identification of the monogram EA II as being for Erst August of Saxe-Weimar-Echternach is suggested in the typed inventory but the source of the dates given - '1737-1748-1807' - has not been established. IX.954 is one of a number of items in the Royal Armouries which formerly belonged to Ernst-August, latterly Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (1688-1748). It is not clear whether the Ernst August referred to in connection with the present hanger is this man or a successor.
With regard to the 17, on the inside of the blade, the typed inventory says another digit, 6(?), could be read but I could not detect this (PJL, 18/06/01).
In ffoulkes's 'Inventory and Survey' of 1916, IX.201 is one of a sequence of schiavonas. The schiavona was disposed of in November 1965 (see typed list of swords disposed of at that time in front of first volume of Typed Inventory). The sciavoina is shown in neg. no. A4.142.
IX.1440 is another German-made military hanger apparently used in England.