Object Title

Iron Gun (fragments)

Iron Gun (fragments)

Date

1471-1499

Object Number

XIX.197 A-B

Provenance

The museum acquired the pieces in 1879 with the tradition that they had been transferred from the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1948. Found on the roof of the Cathedral at Avila. The eastern apse of the cathedral forms part of the defences of the city

Physical Description

Two pieces, probably of the same gun, built up of a central tube with outer sections shrunk on it. At intervals are raised bands, the upper edges of which are serrated. One band on each piece has lungs pierced for rings; one ring remains on each

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length A: 30 in (76.2 cm), Length B: 25 in (63.5 cm) Weight: A: 61 lb (27.7 kg), B: 43 lb (19.7 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

2.9 in (7.4 cm)

Associations

Places Spain

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.146.

Notes

One fragment resides at location Nelson/WSO/9C 13/08/2013 - Fort Nelson CMS audit - location is correct for one piece, the other piece was not located (Jasmin Patel)