Object Title

4.4 in mortar - Coehorn mortar

4.4 in mortar - Coehorn mortar



Object Number



Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

Similar to No.128 and inscribed with the same founder's names and date. The surface of the metal is damaged, probably by the fire of 1841, with the result that no other marking are legible excepting G2 over I2 on the left trunnion


Serial Number None visible


4.4 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: G212


Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.100.


In 1713 the first 'Cohorn' mortars appear and in 1726 royal mortars are listed as well. The Cohorn mortar was the smallest of the standard mortars and was named after its inventor the Dutch military engineer Baron Menno van Cohorn (or Coehorn), 1641-1704. Known as the Dutch Vauban he was renowned mainly for his methods of siegecraft and fortification. His mortars were first used at the siege of Grave in 1674.