Object Title

12 pr howitzer

12 pr howitzer

Date

1830-1840

Object Number

XIX.204

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The reinforce is stamped with the letter P, and the base ring is inscribed with the name and place of the founder G.HUTCHINSON FECIT Ft WILLIAM. There are loops for an elevating screw below the cascael button; this last is stamped No.3 and the weight 2-2-3. The cascabel has a socket for a central tangent-scale rear sight

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 22.5 in (57.2 cm), Overall length: 26.5 in (67.3 cm) Weight: 2 cwt 2 qtr 3 lb (128.4 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 3

Calibre

4.75 in (12.1 cm)

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.164.

Notes

The gunfoundry at Fort William Calcutta was operating as early as 1770.
'George Hutchinson'
Then a Captain of the Bengal Engineers, was appointed Superintendent and Director in 1822. After complaints of inefficiency Hutchinson made a tour of European foundries. On his return to India he persuaded the Company to move its foundry to a better position at Cossipore where it was reconstructed to his satisfaction in 1834. Hutchinson, who gave up his appointment in 1839 and retired in 1841 with the rank of Lieut. Colonel, was an architect and engineer of some note, designing schools, churches and dams. (H.A. Young, 'The East India Company's Arsenals & Manufactories' (Oxford, 1937), 136, 140-3).