Object Title

Backplate

Backplate

Date

1501-1530

Object Number

III.2446 A

Provenance

Accessioned from the Middle Flint Tower, 1987. Purchased with the aid of the NACF from a private collection, solf Sotheby's 5 July 1965 lot 63, as part of a composite armour. Probably from Schloss Hohenaschau; Kuppelmayer collection, sold 1895, lot 3; Gimbel collection, sold 1904, lot 1.

Physical Description

Mainplate (A) with plain edges, and with (B) a waist-lame and three culet plates which are restored. (No inventory entry)

Inscriptions and Marks

Bears a labed inscribed 'Removed from armour lot 63, Ockwells Sale, Sotheby's 5.VII.65'.

Associations

Places Germany

Notes

Removed from a composite armour formerly in the collection of Sir Edward Barry at Ockwells Manor, Berkshire, and purchased at Sotheby's, London, 5 July 1965, Lot 63. Possibly from the armoury of Schloss Hohenaschau. Purchased with the aid of the N.A.C.F.
The backplate was separated from the restored waistplate and culet lames. 2 December 1989, and it has been given the suffix 'a'.