Object Title

12 pr gun - Blomefield Pattern

12 pr gun - Blomefield Pattern

Date

1800

Object Number

XIX.39

Provenance

Old Tower Collection; for many years until 1962 this gun served as a lamp-standard in the Tower.

Physical Description

Blomefield pattern with a strengthened breech, the thickness of the chase correspondingly decreased. The second reinforce bears the monogram of George III in relief. The foresight patch is incised 21, the right trunnion 97 and the left trunnion WC, probably for Walker & Co. There is a breech loop on the cascabel, and the vent-patch is drilled for a flintlock igniter. The under side of the cascabel is incised with the weight, probably 33-6-1

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 102 in (259.1 cm), Overall length: 109 in (276.9 cm) Weight: 33 cwt 6 qtr 1 lb (1676.8 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

4.6 in (11.7 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

Right trunnion: 97 Left trunnion: WC

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.82.

Notes

Walker


Samuel Walker: Rotherham (Yorkshire)
The firm of Samuel Walker & Co was founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746.
From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817.


'Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs)'
Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.


Major General Sir Thomas Blomefield Bart, 1744-1822, was appointed Inspector of Artillery and Inspector of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1780.