Object Title

36 pr gun

36 pr gun

Date

1787

Object Number

XIX.60

Provenance

The gun was part of the armament of one of the French ships captured in Earl Howes' victory off Ushant on the 1st June 1794, 'the Glorious First of June'. Nos 60, 61 are first referred to by J. Hewitt in 'The Tower; It's History, Armouries and Antiquities', 1845

Physical Description

The piece is plain, and excepting the first reinforce astragal, which is a normal ogee, the mouldings are flat. The base-ring is incised with the date of manufacture, the number of the gun and weight A 1787 No.48 P 7243. There are indecipherable markings on the trunnions, those on the right trunnion being possibly IN. The base-ring is drilled with a horizontal passage, a little to the right of top dead centre for the securing screw of a flint-lock igniter. The cascabel is incised with the weight in the English manner 70-0-4, the last numeral, indicating pounds, being indistinct

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 116 in (294.6 cm), Overall length: 129 in (327.7 cm) Weight: 70 cwt 4 lb (3557.8 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 48

Calibre

7 in (17.8 cm)

Associations

Places France

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.122.

Notes

This gun together with No.61 belong to the series of French naval guns introduced in 1786, the design being attributed to M.de Manson, Inspector General of Colonial Artillery.