Object Title

24 pr gun

24 pr gun



Object Number



Returned from Ireland in 1849

Physical Description

Exactly alike and quite plain except for bold stepped mouldings at the muzzle and the usual astragal and ogee mouldings at muzzle, breech and the start of the two reinforces. The prominent cascabel has a long baluster-shaped button ending in a small round knobs; that on XIX.20 has been broken broken off and replaced. The right trunnion of each gun bears in relief the initials JF of the founder John Fuller. The first reinforce is incised with the weight 32-2-24


Dimensions: Length: 120 in (10 ft) (304.8 cm), Overall length: 136 in (11 ft 4 in) (345.4 cm) Weight: 32 cwt 2 qtr 24 lb (1662 kg)


Serial Number None visible


6.1 in (15.5 cm)


Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.53 p.73.


The archaic design of these guns with their prominent, pointed cascabels and heavy, ringed muzzles suggests a date at least as early as the 17th century.
The initials JF have always been associated with an iron caster called 'John Fuller' There were three generations. John I was making guns as early as 1695 and when he died in 1722, his son (d.1745) and grandson (d.1755) carried on the same business. These guns are believed to be from a series of iron 24pdrs made for Ireland by John Fuller III at his iron works at Heathfield, Sussex and proved at Woolwich in July 1747. This belief is based on a letter written by John Fuller to the Duke of Newcastle before the proof in which he explained that 'a little ornamental Ball at the end of each Gun no bigger than a Tennis Ball was knock'd off from 6 of them, but so artfully putt on again with a screw' and that he was considering a reward for the conviction of the 'ill-disposed malicious People' who had done it (P.Lucas, Heathfield Memorials (London, 1910), 81). Two guns at the Rotunda Museum, Woolwich, Nos.III. 2 and 3, probably belong to the same series.