Object Title

64 pr gun and carriage - Dundas type RML

64 pr gun and carriage - Dundas type RML

Date

1873-1898

Object Number

XIX.253

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The gun is a muzzle-loader rifled with three grooves. It is fitted for centre sights, the cascabel being vertically drilled (in the centre) for the bar of the tangent rear-sight while a recess in a raised patch on the swell of the muzzle being drilled for the foresight. These guns were also fitted with a fore-sight on the second reinforce, the two screw-holes for the bracket now being filled with preserving screws; The second reinforce bears the royal cypher in relief; the left trunnion is inscribed R.G.F. No.101 1873, the right trunnion being engraved with horizontal and vertical lines as an aid to sighting.
The first reinforce is incised with a Broad Arrow and with the weight 59-1-14. The face of the bore lining tube at the muzzle is stamped R.G.F. IRON. The cascabel button is formed as a breeching loop. There is a vent patch and this is drilled with two holes for fixing a friction-tube pin to the left front of the vent, both filled with preserving screws, while a hole for a lanyard guide also with preserving screws, is placed in the breech to the sight rear


Carriage
The gun is mounted on a wooden garrison carriage with iron trucks. The leading face of the right bracket is stamped 32 PR 58 CWT 1884, the left bracket R.C.D. The rear axle is not fitted for an elevating screw, indicating that it must be a later replacement, and the stool-bed is missing

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 114 in (289.6 cm), Overall length: 10 ft 5 in (125 in) (317.5 cm) Weight: 59 cwt 1 qtr 14 lb (3016.2 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 101

Calibre

6.29 in (15.9 cm)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.91-92.

Notes

'Lieut Colonel William Dundas'
Inspector of Artillery and of the Royal Brass Foundry 1839-52. His 68pdr gun introduced c.1840, is the 10ft long model shown in Adye's 1854 list (App.II). It was described by Sir Howard Douglas in 1851 as 'one of the most valuable guns in the service' ('Naval Gunnery,' 3rd edn, 219).


The Palliser conversion system, named after the patentee 'Captain William Palliser' and adopted in 1863, involved boring out the gun and iserting a coiled wrought-iron tube which was rifled and retained in position by an iron collar at the muzzle and a screw plug on the under side slightly forward of the trunnions. These 64pdr guns were first issued for sea service but became obsolete for naval use by the late 1870's and were then employed for land service.