Object Title

64 pr gun and garrison carriage - 64 pr Millar RML

64 pr gun and garrison carriage - 64 pr Millar RML

Date

1871-1898

Object Number

XIX.194

Provenance

With XIX.193 sent to Royal Military School of Music in 1903 from Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Transferred to the Armouries 1947.

Physical Description

The gun is a rifled muzzle-loader with three grooves, being a conversion on the Paliser principle from an 8in smooth bore originally a Millar design of 1834.
The left trunnion is marked R.G.F. over No.574 over 1 over 1871. The weight is 69-2-0 and the bore at the muzzle is stamped R.G.F. IRON


Carriage
The gun is mounted on a garrison standing carriage similar to that of No.193. The top step of the right bracket is stamped with letter and number, nearly illegible but possibly D.6211, together with the leters FG in a circle; the other markings on both bracketss are identical with those on No.193. The carriage preserves the small hand quoin in addition to the large quoin; the end face of the latter is stamped in similar fashion to the quoin of No.193 with the addition of No.3. The lever for the elevating screw is preserved

Dimensions

Weight: 69 cwt 2 qtr (3530.6 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 574

Calibre

64 pr

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.91.

Notes

Lieut. General 'William Millar' was responsible for the introduction of shell-firing guns of large calibre. The Palliser conversion system, named after the patentee Captain 'William Palliser' and adopted in 1863, involved boring out the gun and inserting a coiled wrought-iron tube which was rifled and retained in position by an iron collar at the muzzle and a screw plug on the under side slightly forward of the trunnions. These 64pdr converted guns were first issued for sea service but became obsolete for naval use by the late 1870's and were then employed for land service ('Service Ordnance 1886),215-17.' Most of the conversions were done at the Royal Gun Factory. Hundreds were contracted out to the Elswick Ordnance Company, which in 1863 was incorporated into the Sir W.G.Armstrong Company. 'Armstrong'
The renowned engineer, was the inventor of the rifled breech-loading gun with a steel core and a wrought-iron jacket adopted for British forces in 1859 and superseded by his rifled muzzle-loader in 1865. The Ridsdale, Northumberland, began production in 1839.