Object Title

64 pr gun and garrison carriage - 64 pr Millar RML

64 pr gun and garrison carriage - 64 pr Millar RML

Date

1871-1898

Object Number

XIX.193

Provenance

With XIX.194 sent to Royal Military School of Music in 1903 from Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Transferred to the Armouries 1947

Physical Description

A rifled muzzle-loader with three grooves, being a conversion on the Palliser principle from an 8in smooth bore, originally a Millar design of 1834. It is fitted for tangent-scale rear sights on either side of the cascabel and for side fore sights. The left trunnion is inscribed SIR W.G. ARMSTRONG No.681 1871. The reinforce is stamped with a Broad Arrow and the weight 70-?-0, the centre figure being obliterated. The face of the bore-lining tube at the muzzle is stamped BRIDSDALE IRON, the number C.No2072 AND BORE 6.29. The cascabel button is formed as a breeching loop


Carriage
The gun is mounted on a wooden garrison standing carriage with iron trucks. The rear axle is fitted with a ratchet elevating screw which bears on the under side of an iron stool bed. The larger of the two quoins is preserved together with the lever for the elevating screw. The uppermost step of the right bracket is stamped D 6200 together with a mark consisting of the letters J.B. and a Broad Arrow in a triangle; the riser of the second step bears the initials of the Royal Carriage Department, Woolwich and date RCD 1898, separated by a repetition of the mark on the top step. The riser of the second step of the left bracket is stamped 64Pr and that of the third step 71CWT. The end face of the quoin is stamped RCD 1898 together with the letters FG framed in a circle

Techniques

Cast

Materials

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 108 in (274.3 cm), Overall length: 122 in (309.9 cm) Weight: 70 cwt approx (3556 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 681

Calibre

6.29 in (15.9 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: inscribed SIR W.G. ARMSTRONG No 681 1871

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.90-91.

Notes

Lieut. General'William Millar'
Responsible for the introduction of shell-firing guns of large calibre. The Palliser conversion system, named after the patentee Captain 'William Palliser' and adopted in 1863, involved boring out the gun and inserting a coiled wrought-iron tube which was rifled and retained in position by an iron collar at the muzzle and a screw plug on the under side slightly forward of the trunnions. These 64pdr converted guns were first issued for sea service but became obsolete for naval use by the late 1870's and were then employed for land service ('Service Ordnance 1886),215-17.' Most of the conversions were done at the Royal Gun Factory. Hundreds were contracted out to the Elswick Ordnance Company, which in 1863 was incorporated into the Sir W.G.Armstrong Company.
'Sir W.G. Armstrong'.
The renowned engineer, was the inventor of the rifled breech-loading gun with a steel core and a wrought-iron jacket adopted for British forces in 1859 and superseded by his rifled muzzle-loader in 1865. The Ridsdale, Northumberland, began production in 1839.