Object Title

32 pr gun and garrison carriage - Monk Pattern

32 pr gun and garrison carriage - Monk Pattern

Date

1844-1870

Object Number

XIX.252

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The muzzle is of normal form but there is only a single flat moulding marking the end of the first reinforce and a muzzle ring of similar form, the second reinforce merges into the chase by means of a step with slight concave curve. There is a vent laterally drilled for a percussion-tube lock and just to the rear of this on the upper edge of the cascabel, a block drilled with two holes for securing a Millar pattern rear sight, the second reinforce being drilled with two holes for the corresponding fore sight. Just in rear of these is the cypher of Queen Victoria in relief. The first reinforce is stamped with a Broad Arrow, a cross, the weight 51-0-0 and the date 1844. The left trunnion bears the initials W.C. possibly for Walker & Co., the contractors and the right the number 398.


Carriage
The gun is mounted on a wood garrison carriage. The screw elevating gear is now missing but the iron stool bed and the quoin are preserved. A heavy iron bar for an Allen brake is bolted to the lower edge of the brackets just behind each front truck. Any visible markings on the carriage are illegible

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 108 in (274.3 cm), Overall length: 121 in (307.3 cm) Weight: 51 cwt (2590.8 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 1398

Calibre

6.37 in (16 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: WC Right trunnion: 1398

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.85-86.

Notes

Walker


Samuel Walker: Rotherham (Yorkshire)
The firm of Samuel Walker & Co was founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746.
From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817.


'Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs)'
Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.


'T.B.Monk'
Clerk and Draughtsman in the Department of the Inspector of Artillery proposed that the range of heavy guns could be increased by reducing the thickness of metal at the chase and increasing it at the breech. A56 pdr gun of Monk's design was successfully tested at Deal in 1839 and taken into service in 1842. His design for a 130 pdr gun was rejected in 1855. (W.O.44/630, W.O.44/640, W.O.44/524. See also, H. Wilkinson, 'Engines of War', London, 1841, pp.53-4).


'Allen's Brake'
A device to limit recoil and consisted of a wedge or shoe attached to the brackets immediately in rear of the front trucks by three jointed bars and limited the recoil of the gun by jamming under the truck. The brake shoe could be secured out of the way when it was not desired to use it.


'Lieut. General William Millar'
Responsible for the introduction of shell-firing guns of large (8 in and 10 in) calibre.
Millar entered the Royal Artillery in 1781 and in 1804 became an Assistant Inspector of the Royal Carriage Department, Woolwich. He was appointed Inspector of Artillery and of the Royal Brass Foundry, Woolwich in 1827 and died in 1838.