Object Title

6 pr gun and carriage

6 pr gun and carriage

Date

1813

Object Number

XIX.69

Provenance

Captured at Waterloo together with Nos. XIX.63-66, 68-69, 70, 74-76, 157.

Physical Description

Similar to No. XIX.67. The name of the gun is L'ACHILLE.

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 13 and 370K

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.54.

Notes

Eight of the Waterloo 6pdr guns were used as a supporting column to a massive trophy of arms which decorated the staircase of the Grand Storehouse and was erected to commemorate the visit of William IV on 5 August 1830. The guns survived the 1841 fire and were then exhibited in the Annexe (demolished 1883) built on the east side of the White Tower. They were later mounted on carriages for display on Tower Wharf.
The 'Systeme An ' XI 1802-3, never in fact adopted entirely, substituted a 6pdr. field piece, of which Nos. XIX.67, 68, 69, 157, 63, 66, 65, 64 and 70 are examples, for the 4pdrs and 8pdrs.
'Maritz'
Important family of gunfounders of Swiss origin Jean Maritz being the first, established at Berthoud (Bergdorf), Canton Bern by the 16th century.
'Louis Ernest Maritz': The Hague; 1774-1851.
Elder son of Jean III, great nephew of Jean Maritz I in partnership with his brother, Jean George, succeeded his father as joint director of the Hague foundry. Louis married in Holland and founded the Dutch branch of the Maritz family. Cf. 'Gun Founding & Gunfounders' a directory of Cannon Founders from Earliest Times to 1850; A.N. Kennard, p.107-109.

AR.2/1 (Official Correspondence)
Re-arrangement of Guns in the Vaults and Wharf October
25 October 1930.

Arrival of Rotunda guns gave rise to rearrangement of the guns in the WT Basement – certain “duplicate foreign guns and guns of little decorative or historic interest could be removed to Wharf” to make way for them. Moves to be completed before Christmas holidays to avoid causing congestion in the Basement at that period and suggested by ffoulkes.
XIX. 67, 69 & 70 listed.
No mention of rest of present Waterloo Battery (2015) ie XIX. 63, 65 & 66. (BC)