Object Title

6 pr gun and trail carriage

6 pr gun and trail carriage

Date

1798

Object Number

XIX.213

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The first reinforce is engraved with the cypher of George III and the chase with that of the Marquess of Cornwallis, Master-General of the Ordnance.
On the first reinforce ring are the names of the Master-Founders at Woolwich and the date, Io & Hy King 1798, and on the second reinforce ring is the number of the gun DLXXXIX. The right trunnion is marked No.682. The cascabel is drilled for a centre rear sight and marked with the weight 6-0-7. On the underside is the foundry number U6 over 589. There are loops for the elevating screw below the cascabel button


CARRIAGE:
The gun is mounted on a solid one-piece block-trail carriage of Congreve pattern. The elevating screw, originally of the pattern bolted to the cascabel button, has been replaced by the type of screw designed to bear on the under-side of the base ring. The carriage is complete with axle-tree boxes, drag shoe and chains.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 60 in (152.4 cm), Overall length: 65 in (165.1 cm), Carriage cheeks and trail length 108 in, Carriage wheels diameter: 59 in Weight: 6 cwt 7 lb (308 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number DLXXXIX

Calibre

3.7 in _ (99.4 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

Right trunnion: 682

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.68, p.81.

Notes

'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.