Object Title

24 pr carronade and carriage

24 pr carronade and carriage

Date

1808

Object Number

XIX.236

Provenance

Old Tower Collection; probably the remains of the carronade batteries listed in the Tower Inventories 1823-33 (app.1).

Physical Description

These guns are similar in general design to No.XIX.47, but smaller. On each gun there is a vent patch and behind this the cascabel is drilled, probably for a rear sight. There is a breeching loop above the cascabel button, the latter being threaded for the elevating screw and having two studs on the upper edge to secure a tube protecting the upper end of the screw. The base ring is marked with quarter-sight scales; there is a raised sight on the reinforce ring and a recess in the muzzle ring apparently for a removable fore sight. The muzzle is recessed for ease in loading. On XIX.236 the reinfoce is marked with a Broad Arrow, the number 132 and the weight, 13-0-21. The under side of the breech is inscribed WF36


Carriage
Platform carriages similar to that of No.47. Each of the pierced brackets engaging with the loop on the underside of the gun. Both carriages have been extensively repaired, one in 1958, being reconstructed form timbers of the old wooden battleship H.M.S. Cornwallis

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 43.5 in (110.5 cm), Overall length: 56 in (144.8 cm), Length Carriage: 60 in (152.4 cm) Weight: 13 cwt 21 lb (669.9 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 132

Calibre

5.7 in (14.5 cm)

Associations

Places Scotland

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.146.

Notes

The two carronades are probably the remains of the carronade batteries listed in the Tower Inventories of 1823-33 (App.1). An illustration in the 'The Graphic' of 15 August 1885 shows then standing on the wharf very near the saluting base on which they stand today. For some years before World War II, however, they were on loan to the Connaught Barracks, Dover.


Cf. Nos.199, 47. Other firms besides Carron Company made carronades for the Board of Ordnance and the initials 'WF' on XIX.236 may indicate another contractor or sub-contractor.
'The Carron Company'
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22).