Object Title

Left lower cannon

Left lower cannon

Date

1400-1450

Object Number

III.1114

Provenance

Transferred from the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, Woolwich, 1927. From Rhodes, acquired by Sir J Lefroy 1867.

Physical Description

Of cylindrical form tapering slightly to the wrist. It is made of two plates, attached at the front by two plain external hinges. The inner plate is fitted with a central trapezoidal buckle, which once engaged a strap from the outer plate whose rivet hole has been corroded away. The upper edge of the outer plate rises to the rear in an asymmetrical curve, that of the inner plate being shallowly concave. The main edges at the wrist have boxed outward turns, while others are plain. At either side of the upper edge of the outer plate is a rivet hole for the attachment of an articulating lame, and at the centre, one for a leather.

Featured in

Hundred Years War

Dimensions

Dimensions: height 202 mm, width 105 mm Weight: 370 g

Inscriptions and Marks

The outer plate is stamped with the Rotunda number MA 2331. A metal disc stamped 18/67 is attached.

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1873: 140, MA 2331

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 150, no. 16.263

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 7.12

Notes

Higgins Armory Museum no. 928.35, Royal Armouries no. iii.1113, and Sanctuary nos B5, B6, B31-2 (Boccia 1982: figs 360-75; 376-96 g, h; 514-5), are among many lower cannons of this type with strap and buckle fastenings attached to either plate.