Object Title

Left pauldron and vambrace

Left pauldron and vambrace

Date

1570

Object Number

III.2490

Provenance

Re-accessioned from Middle Flint Tower, 1987. Probably from one of the armours formerly on loan 7 to Dover Castle (II.53-62) from Malta, 1826.

Physical Description

The pauldron is formed of seven lames of which the upper three extend over the chest and back, and the lowest is connected to a tubular upper cannon, couter and two part lower cannon. Decorated with roped turns and recesssed borders throughout, and double incised lines and the pauldron with embossed volutes.

Inscriptions and Marks

The insides of the upper four lames of the pauldron each have their edges filed with a v shaped nick. The couter and the top plate of the pauldron are marked with the number 3.

Associations

Places Italy