Object Title

Left gauntlet

Left gauntlet

Date

1570

Object Number

III.2519

Provenance

Re-accessioned from Middle Flint Tower, 1987. Probably from one of the armours formerly on loan 7 to Dover Castle (II.53-62) from Malta, 1826.

Physical Description

Formed of a cuff linked by four metacarple plates through a roped knuckle plate to four finger-defences, and formerly, a thumb defence, now missing. The edge of the cuff has a roped turn bordered by nine lining rivets. decorated with single incised lines, and on the knuckle-plate and each of hte metacarple plates with a single notch.

Inscriptions and Marks

The inside of the cuff is marked III, while the insides of all the plates are marked with four V-shaped notches.

Associations

Places Italy

Notes

A piece of wire, probably for attaching an inventory disc, is attached, suggesting that it had formerly been assigned another number which is not now identifiable.