Object Title

Left gauntlet

Left gauntlet

Date

1601-1630

Object Number

II.146 L

Provenance

Once in the Ehrbach collection, this armour formed part of the gift made to the Detroit Institute of Arts by the Hearst Foundation in 1953, no. 53.200. The shield is in the Bargello, Florence, no. M.766. The armour is described in the Medici inventories, 'an armour for the barrier having the colour of a sweet smelling violet, with fluted stripes of white brilliance, and worked with trimmings or golden bands with foliage, that is breast, back, arm defences, collar, helmet, buffe and gloves or gauntlets, with a similar shield, which was made for the glorious memory of his Serene Highness Cosimo II'. Another similar pair of gauntlets, possibly for the same armour, was sold at Christies, London, 20 November 1996, lot 121. See L G Boccia, 'Arms and armour for the Medici court', Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts, Summer 1983: 58-61; L G Boccia and E T Coelho, L'arte dell' armature in Italia, Milan, 1967, nos 418-20.

Physical Description

The cuffs are decorated with bands of parallel grooves, the spaces between filed with etched and gilt foliate scrolls.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 315mm; width: 215mm; depth: 155mm

Associations

Places Italy

Bibliographic References

Coelho, L'arte dell' armature in Italia, Milan, 1967, nos 418-20.

Notes

The armour to which these gauntlets belong was made for Cosimo II de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany 1608-21, for foot combat at the barriers. It was in the Ehrbach collection, and was presented by the Hearst Foundation to the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1953, no. 53.200. The shield is in the Museo Nazionale (Bargello), Florence, no. M.766. See L G Boccia, 'Arms and armour for the Medici court', Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts, Summer 1983: 58-61; L G Boccia and E T Coelho, L'arte dell' armature in Italia, Milan, 1967, nos 418-20. Another similar pair of gauntlets, possibly for the same armour, was sold at Christies, London, 20 November 1996, lot 121.