Object Title

Couter

Couter

Date

1500

Object Number

III.4744

Provenance

Purchased 27 January 2004 from Andrew Lumley. From a private collection in Germany. From the armoury of the Knights of St John on Rhodes. Acquired by the Paris dealer Bachereau about 1900. Purchased about 1920 by Luigi Marzoli, Brescia. (verbal information from Andrew Lumley).

Physical Description

It is of semi circular form, with a flat wing broad at the rear narrowing to a pucker at the front. The main edges have slight partial turns, and the central area has a medial ridge and one above and below. At the centre outside is a round headed rivet and two other rivet holes, with another rivet directly above and another rivet hole directly below, for various arrangements of medial leathers. At the front, at the base of the pucker, is a flush rivet and at the rear another, for the leather strap and buckle. The central area is corroded away in three places, and most of one edge and parts of the other are similarly corroded away. All surfaces are heavily corroded but stable.

Materials

Dimensions

Dimensions: height 170 mm, width 180 mm Weight: 264 g

Inscriptions and Marks

None.

Associations

Notes

There are six similar examples also from Rhodes, now in the Royal Armouries nos III.1116, 1135, Higgins Armory Museum no. 928.1, those of the set of vambraces in the Swiss Institute of Arms and Armour, Grandson (Karcheski & Richardson 2000: nos 7.14, 8.6-8) and Royal Armouries no. III.4743. Compare also the similar couters of a composite armour traditionally that of Giovanni de' Medici, now in the Stibbert Museum, Florence, no. 16721 (Boccia & Coelho 1967: 232, fig. 168; Boccia 1980: 404); a composite armour in the Princes Odescalchi collection, Rome, no. 125 (Carpegna 1969: 4, no. 6); Lombardic examples in the Royal Armoury, Turin, no. B19 (Boccia 1982: figs 179, 186) and the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie, no. B5-6 (Boccia 1982: figs 360, 372-3, 376, 379, 392-3); a fragmentary set also in the Higgins Armory Museum, no. 927.26a,b.