Object Title

Sword

Sword

Date

1800-1830

Object Number

IX.7248

Provenance

Found un-numbered in Brick Tower store (rack 11G), 1982/1983. First accessioned by Valuation team, 1987. Probably Tower arsenal.

Physical Description

Brass mameluke style hilt, cast in one, consisting of: lion's head 'pommel' with eyelet between its jaws (for chain-guard) and stylized mane, which merges into the grip, which is slightly shaped to the hand; short, straight qillons with sperical pineapple terminals (on this example slightly counter-inclined in the plane of the blade), the forward one having an attached eyelet (for the chain-guard); forward langets and fictive rear langets (cast as part of the grip). The cente of the cross (with the langets) has relief cast decoration of a flowering bud flanked by leaves.


Curved, single-edged blade, with a narrow fuller near the back, extending from the base for approx. 520 mm (20 1/2 in.). This example retains its buff-piece.


Condition: The chain-guard is lacking. The rear quillon terminal has lost its pineapple-like cross-hatching (or, possibly, it never had them).

Dimensions

Dimensions: Overall length: approx. 834 mm (32 7/16 in.), Blade length, back by hilt to tip: 695 mm (27 3/8 in.), Blade width, by hilt: 32 mm (1 1/4 in.) Weight: 775 g (1 lb 11 1/2 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

On hilt, on grip, on inside, stamped: 3 over DG over 21 (3rd Dragoon Guards [band sword no.] 21).On blade, on inside, in fuller, by hilt, in red paint: '13987' (an Imperial War Museum accession number).

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

IX.7247 is of the same 'pattern', marked to the same regiment (no. 25). For other examples of this 'pattern', see entry for IX.7247, under Notes (none so far noticed at 29/06/07).
There is a thin copper tag attached to the hilt, stamped W over 33. There is also a red-painted Imperial War Museum number (see Marks) the IWM register says: 3rd Dragoon Guards sealed pattern (on loan from Wilkinson Sword Co), but it seems more likely that this sword was one of those transferred from the Tower Armouries when the IWM was first established, and that it had originally been in store there with IX.7247 as part of a set of about 25 or 30. band swords.