Object Title

Plackart

Plackart

Date

1430

Object Number

III.4599

Provenance

Purchased 7th March 1994. From the Armoury of the Knights of St John at Rhodes, acquired by the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, 1866, sold about 1980.

Physical Description

It is of rounded form, the upper edge rising to a central point and the lower edge with a flange. Below the central point is a rivet hole for the strap for the upper breastplate. At the left upper corner are two rivet holes, and at the upper right corner one rivet hole, for the side straps to the upper breastplate. At the right side edge is a rivet hole for the side strap to the lower backplate, and at the left, broken out is one rivet hole probably intended for the attachment of a hinge. The flange has a rivet with a square washer at either side, and two additional rivet holes, one broken out, at the left, for attachment of the fauld, and a pair of rivet holes at the centre for the internal leather.

Featured in

Hundred Years War

Dimensions

Dimensions: height: 252 mm; width 320 mm Weight: 1.29 kg

Inscriptions and Marks

Stamped at the right with the Rotunda number, MA 2298.

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, London, 1874: 139.

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 149, no. 16.227.

Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda at Woolwich, London, 1963, Vol 2: 59, no. 16.170.

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 4.2

Notes

The form of this plackart falls between the low-pointed and triple-strapped example of the URS armour, Churburg no. 18, of about 1415, and that of the giant Ulrich IX armour, Churburg no. 19, of about 1450 (Trapp & Mann 1929: 35-47). Similar plackarts are depicted on the sculpture of St Michael at San Marco, Venice, on the painting of St Michael by Michele Giambono in the Galleria dell' Academia, Venice, both of about 1430-5, and in the drawing of 'illustrious men' in the Giusto Codex in the Gabinetto Nazionale delle Stampa, Rome, of about 1435-40 (Boccia 1982: figs 33, 35, 37).