Object Title

Breastplate

Breastplate

Date

1490-1510

Object Number

III.4572

Provenance

Purchased from Peter Dale Limited., 9 August 1993. It is stated to have come from an English house

Physical Description

It is made in one piece with a prominent medial ridge extending from just below the neck to just above the abdomen. It has a bold ,angular, inward turns at the neck and arm-openings, and is flanged at the waist. Each end of the waist-flange is pierced with a rivet-hole for the attachment of a missing fauld. Three smaller holes have subsequently been pierced just to the inside of each of these rivet-holes. The middle one on the right side has broken out to the edge, as have the two inner ones on the left side. A pair of vertically-aligned rivet-holes are pierced at each shoulder for the attachment of missing shoulder-straps. A larger hole has subsequently been pierced just above each of these pairs of holes. The one on the right has now brken out to the edge. Pierced close to the right armpit are five holes for the attachment of a missing lance-rest. The Top three, arranged in a triangular formation, are nearly twice as large as the lower two which are arranged in a diagonal line. Both sides of the breastplate have been bent outwards subsequent to manufacture, with the result that the top of the left side has been broken away. The turn at the left arm-opening has been cracked in two places.
Bright with heavy rust-pits, especially at the centre and the right side.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Max. Height: 39.7 cm (15.6 in), Max. Width: 37.0 cm (14.5 in), Max. Depth: 17.0 cm (9.7 in) Weight: 3.07 Kg (6 lb 12 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

None.

Associations

Places Flanders

Notes

The breastplate is of almost identical form to one formerly preserved in the armoury of the Tollemache family at Helmingham Hall, Suffolk. In the 19th century it was transferred by the family to the newly-built imitation medieval castle at Peckforton, Cheshire. It was sold from there as part of a composite armour by Christies, London, 14 May 1953, Lot 109. Shortly after the sale, the purchaser of the lot, T. J. Gregory, sold it to Claude Blair (Arms & Armour Society, 'The Art of the Armourer', Victoria & Albert Museum, London, 1963, p. 11, cat. no.9, illustrated).