Object Title

Pasguard

Pasguard

Date

1540

Object Number

II.8 D

Provenance

Transferred from Greenwich in 1649, to Windosr Castle in 1686, and back from Winsor Castle in 1914.

Physical Description

Made in one piece to protect the left elbow and shoulder in the tilt, with a single narrow extension plate at the bottom articulated by a rivet at the rear and a modern leather, the original attached by three rivets to each plate. At the centre of the pasguard inside is a modern leather and hook to attach the plate to the grandguard. At the outside edge just below the medial ridge is a modern metal loop. The edges are bordered by decorative brass capped iron rivets. The main edges are bordered by broad bands of etched and gilt foliage on a plain ground. At the centre of the extension plate is a Tudor rose, and at intervals Classical vases. The extension plate has been well protected, and shows the original bright finish of the armour as well as the briliiance of the gilding which covers the etched borders.

Dimensions

Dimensions: height 518 mm, width 406 mm Weight: 2650 g (5 lb 13 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

Painted inside Windsor 1914, H No 2, 14.

Associations

Bibliographic References

A.R. Dufty and W. Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968, plates XX, XXI.

Exhibition of Armour Made In the Royal Workshop at Greenwich, Tower of London, 1951, Cat. No. 54-57, plate XXXV.

Notes

valued with armour. RC2: Permission to lend required from sovereign