Object Title

Grandguard

Grandguard

Date

1540

Object Number

II.8 B

Provenance

Transferred from Greenwich in 1649. Transferred from Winsor Castle, 1914.

Physical Description

Decorated with narrow bands ethced and gilt with scrolling foliage on a plain ground which border all plates, the outer edges of the main plates being sunken.

Dimensions

Weight: kg ( 11 lb 6 oz )

Inscriptions and Marks

In the centre of the band of the upper part of the shield is the Cross of St. George.

Associations

Bibliographic References

A.R. Dufty and W. Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968, plates XX-XXIII. See also II.8.

Exhibition of Armour Made in the Royal Workshop at Greenwich, Tower of London, 1951, Cat. No. 54-57, plate XXXV.

Notes

Probably extra pieces for II.8 on which they are a perfect fit. The quality of the etching, however, appears to be better than that of the armour and there is a possibility that the grandguards belong to one of the King's armours now missing. RC2: Permission to lend required from sovereign