Object Title

Portions of an armour

Portions of an armour

Date

1560

Object Number

II.173

Provenance

Purchased from the National Magazine Co. (William Randolph Hearst Collection) October 1952, with the help of the Pilgrim Trust, the National Art Collections Fund and a special Exchequer Grant. one of 52 items purchased together. From the collections of the Duke of Ratibor at Schloss Grafenegg

Physical Description

Close helmet of armet type with bellow visor. Gorget consisting of main plate and three neck lames at front and rear. Breastplate of early peascod form, backplate withnarrow culet of single lame. Breast and back retain soft leather linings edged with red velvet. Decorated with etched bands of running foliage and flowers on blackened granular ground. Superimposed on central band of breast is crucifix with, to right, the kneeling figure of an officer of Landsknechts, wearing his own armour. Originally formed by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian, these mercenary pikemen and foot-soldiers fought across Europe in early modern Europe. this image is very similar to breastplate S125 in Churburg, where the knight is accompanied by his horse. All straps and buckles are original.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Overall: Height: 775mm; width: 360mm; depth: 370mm Weight: Helmet: 5 lb 12 oz, Gorget: 2 lb 13 oz, Breastplate: 9 lb 3 oz, Backplate: 6 lb 13 oz

Inscriptions and Marks

Lining of breast inscribed, probably in ox-gall, 'Graf Max To...' with below 'Joseph Paumgartten' which is repeated. On the lininig of the backplate is '1401', 'Max Torring' and 'Joseph Paumgartten', the latter again repeated.

Associations

Bibliographic References

C. Paggiarino, The Royal Armouries, masterpieces of medieval and renaissance arms and armour, Milan, 2011 volume 2