Object Title

Pair of vambraces

Pair of vambraces

Date

1520

Object Number

III.1913 A-B

Provenance

Exchanged for the Vambrace of II.13 from the R. Williams collection. The original vambraces were sold with the Williams armour, Sotheby's 15 October 1974, Lot 87. The new ones are ex-H.G. Radford, Sold Sotheby's 17 January 1946, Lot 340, ex-Hearst, St Donat's Castle.

Physical Description

With fluted and fretted decoration. Each spaudler is rounded to the shoulder and composed of seven lames articulated by sliding rivets at the rear and leathers at the centre and front. The main lame has two lames above it, overlapping upwards, and four below overlapping downwards. The main edges are plain, with a sunken border on the upper lames. The subsidiary edges are scalloped with the fluting. At the top of the upper lame are two pierced holes for arming points; on each, one is corroded, enlarged and broken through and has a contemporary internal riveted repair. There are modern riveted repairs on the second lame of left, and first and second lame of the right. Above the leather, at the front, are lines of round-headed rivets. Several lames have extra rivet holes near the centre, filled with flush rivets. The upper cannons are gutter-shaped, with straight upper and side edges, and smoothly curved lower edges, the front portions of which have plain outward turns. They are articulated to the spaudlers by the same method as the spaudler, and to the couters by modern internal leathers at the front and rear. At the couters by modern internal leathers at the front and rear. At the middle of the rear edge is riveted a modern leather strap engaging a decorated iron buckle at the front. The couters are large and hart shaped. They are rounded to the elbow, with an embossed lenticular bulge extending to the centre, and the rear edge extended around the elbow to the line of the upper cannon. The wing of each is symmetrical, with a deep, rounded central pucker, and faceted edges corresponding with the fluting. The leathers from the upper cannons are riveted at the front and rear, and continue to the lower cannons. There are modern internal riveted repairs at the rear and centre of each. The rear edge of each has several holes filled with rivets. The lower cannons are each made of two gutter shaped plates, each joined by two external hinges at the rear and a pin-catch at the front. The upper edges slope obliquely to the front; these, where visible, and the lower edges have plain outward turns. The inner sections are each fretted, originally in two sections of three trapezia pierced with four petals, with a punched dot at the centre of each, and a transverse ridge between each. The inner panel of each has broken away, and been contemporarily repaired with large internal riveted plate. At the interior centre of each is riveted a long slot with sliding rivet, presumably for the attachment of a leather strap for the gauntlets. The rear portion of the inner part of the right lower cannon, the lower cannons and upper cannons and spaudlers are decorated on the outside with upward flaring sprays of four shallow flutes separated by ridges between incised lines, terminating above the cuff on the lower cannons. The counters are decorated with six transverse flutes in lenticular formation over the elbow bulge and four flutes on the wings above and below, all terminating at the rear and bordered by ridges between incised lines. The base of each pucker is marked by an incised line.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height of right 670 mm (26.4 in.), height of left 680 mm (26.8 in.) Weight: Right 3 lb (2.35 kg), left 3 lb (2.35 kg).

Inscriptions and Marks

none