Object Title

Lump of stone containing flints - Platform and wedge type flints

Lump of stone containing flints - Platform and wedge type flints

Date

1805

Object Number

XX.919

Provenance

Presented May 1984 by the Chelmsford Underwater Archaeological Unit.

Physical Description

Concreate lump containining flints. From the wreck of the English East Indiaman 'The Earl of Abergavenny' which sank in Weymouth Bay in February 1805. Mixture of Brandon platform flints an wedge flints. The lighter coloured wedge flints are probaly from Northfleet.

Techniques

Knapped

Materials

Dimensions

OverallDepth4.33in.
OverallDepth110mm
OverallLength4.33in.
OverallLength110mm
OverallWidth7.9in.
OverallWidth200mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number N/A

Calibre

N/A

Inscriptions and Marks

N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Bibliographic References

CD-Rom entitled 'The Early of Abergavenny: Historical Record and Wreck Excavation' by Weymouth Underwater Archaeological Group contains full site record but no breakdown of gunflint finds.

Notes

The ‘Platform’ flint superseded the ‘Wedge’ (both ‘broad wedge’ and ‘narrow wedge’) flint. The long flake of flint which forms the first stage of knapping for the ‘Platform’ type was originally known in the English gun flint industry as the ‘Frenchman’, and is said to have been introduced to England by a French prisoner of war. However, in England the flake was knapped differently in the later stages, so that the finished platform type must be counted as characteristically English. The majority of this collection of flints is dark black coloured which possibly indicates they are ‘Brandon’ flints, from Brandon Suffolk. The few which appear to be mottled grey could also be from Brandon or perhaps on closer inspection shown to be from ‘Northfleet’ Kent. Both Brandon and Northfleet flint were both supplied to the East India Company prior to 1805. It could be that the lesser quality grey flint was used in training, or even for private trade.