Object Title

Artillery ammunition - Carcass Shot

Artillery ammunition - Carcass Shot

Date

1700-1830

Object Number

XX.39

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

Hollow iron, spherical shell drilled with four holes in one half

Dimensions

Dimensions: Diameter: 4.5in (11.4cm) Weight: 8lb (3.6kg)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976.

Notes

Carcass or incendiary shot was hollow shot drilled with holes, usually three, four or five in number. The shot was filled with combustible material which was ignited by the main charge through the holes which also permitted the flames of the ignited filling to escape. Although it did not come into general use until the 19th century, it is described and illustrated in 'The Gentleman's Dictionary' of 1705 as 'a late Invention for the Sea Service'.