Skip to main content

Object Title

Gun - Dragon cannon

Gun - Dragon cannon

Date

1771-1799

Object Number

XIX.123

Provenance

Presented by HM Queen Mary to the Indian Section, Victoria & Albert Museum, and transferred to the Tower in 1951.

Physical Description

A very ornate barrel cast in the form of a dragon with a prominent open-jawed dragon's head at the muzzle, a row of spines along the upper edge of the barrel ending in an upright tail at the breech. There are two pairs of fixtures either side of the barrel which are believed to represent rudimentary limbs.

Featured in

Techniques

Cast

Materials

Dimensions

Overalllength112 in
Overalllength2845 mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number None visible

Calibre

3.7 in

Associations

Places Burma

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976. No.202, p.153.

Notes

Four similar dragon guns were captured by General Prendergast from King Thebaw's Palace, Mandalay, on 28 November 1885. One was presented to Queen Victoria, one to the Prince of Wales, one to the Rotunda Woolwich, and one to the Governor General of India. The first was transferred from Windsor in July 1901 to the Tower of London, and from thence to the Rotunda in October 1930. The Rotunda thus has two of the guns, Class 267 and 267A. The present Tower gun is the one originally sent to the Prince of Wales.

Thumbnail image of Gun - Dragon cannon Cast in the form of a roaring dragon.
Thumbnail image of Gun - Dragon cannon Cast in the form of a roaring dragon.
Thumbnail image of Gun - Dragon cannon Cast in the form of a roaring dragon.
Thumbnail image of Gun - Dragon cannon Cast in the form of a roaring dragon.