Object Title

12 pr gun

12 pr gun



Object Number



The gun was probably captured by the Burmese in 1767 when Ayuthia, then capital of Siam, fell to a Burmese invading army. The piece was brought to England in 1885, having probably been taken during the operations in Burma in that year. It was transferred from Chatham Dockyard by the Admiralty in 1961

Physical Description

There are four loops with rings for lifting, two on the reinforce and two on the chase. The reinforce is engraved with an inscription in Burmese: 'In the year 1128 Dwarawati was conquered' (1128 Burmese era= A.D.1766-7; Dwarawati is Burmese for Siam). The cascabel is formed of a series of concentric rings prolonged into a cone


Dimensions: Length: 90 in (228.6 cm), Overall length: 100 in (254 cm)


Serial Number None visible


4.6 in _ (11.7 cm)


Places Siam

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976., No.240, p.171.


There was a strong Portuguese influence in Siam in the 16th century which is perpetuated in the form of this gun cf. No.XIX.91.