Object Title

Flintlock pistol

Flintlock pistol

Date

about 1760

Object Number

XII.1316

Provenance

From the Norton Hall Collection. Presented by the National Art-Collections Fund, 1942. Formally in the collection of Beriah Botfield (1807 - 1863) at Norton Hall, Northamptonshire. This collection would appear to have been formed in the 1840's. Norton Hall was acquired by Beriah Botfield's grandfather (who died in 1801), Thomas Botfield acquired it from the descendants of Nicholas Breton. Beriah Botfield restored Norton Hall to its former glories. The collection was finally purchased, with the aid of the National Art-Collections Fund, for the nation from Lady Beatrice Thynne on the occasion of her death in 1942. The full sum paid for the collection would appear to have been £2,650. The purchase was negotiated with Lady Weymouth who was acting as attorney for Lord Weymouth (who was away on active service), who was tenant-for-life of the property (the collection had been settled on Lord Weymouth for life).

Physical Description

Percussion sporting gun converted from flintlock. Two stage barrel which has been cut down. Octagonal breech, front sight and rear sight a simple groove on tang . Lock converted with crude hammer. Full stocked and butt with 7 over 35 and plastic tag with either 899 or 998. Cheek rest. No side plate ; 2 ramrod pipes.

Dimensions

BarrelLength23.5 in
OverallLength37.55 in

Calibre

.585 in (23 bore)

Associations

Places France