Object Title

4.5 in mortar - Coehorn Mortar

4.5 in mortar - Coehorn Mortar

Date

1821

Object Number

XIX.258

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The Monogram of George IV is engraved on the reinforce, the date 1821 being inscribed above the vent; below the vent is the weight 3-0-19 and the serial number 154. This mortar registered and proved 9 June 1821. Woolwich Proof Reg, June 1810-1831 (W.P.R. II)

Dimensions

Weight: 3 cwt 19 lb

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 154

Calibre

4.5 in _ (11.5 cm)

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.104.

Notes

'Cornelius King'
Son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.
'Cohorn'
In 1713 the first Cohorn mortars appear and in 1726 Royal mortars are listed as well. The Cohorn mortar was the smallest of the standard mortars and was named after its inventor the Dutch military engineer Baron Menno van Cohorn (or Coehorn), 1641-1704. Known as the Dutch Vauban he was renowned mainly for his methods of siegecraft and fortification. His mortars were first used at the siege of Grave in 1674.