Object Title

4.5 in mortar - Coehorn Mortar

4.5 in mortar - Coehorn Mortar

Date

1819

Object Number

XIX.257

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The Monogram of George III is engraved on the reinforce, the founder and date, Cornelius King 1819 on the lower reinforce ring; while below the vent is the weight 0-3-18. The Foundry serial number 123 is incised on the underside. This mortar was registered as proved 7 October 1819 (W.P.R. II).
The mortar closely resembles Nos.XIX.140,201,202,258

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 13 in [33cm] Weight: 3 qtr 18 lb (46.3 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 123

Calibre

4.5 in _ (11.5 cm)

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.104.

Notes

'Cornelius King'
Son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.
'Cohorn'
In 1713 the first Cohorn mortars appear and in 1726 Royal mortars are listed as well. The Cohorn mortar was the smallest of the standard mortars and was named after its inventor the Dutch military engineer Baron Menno van Cohorn (or Coehorn), 1641-1704. Known as the Dutch Vauban he was renowned mainly for his methods of siegecraft and fortification. His mortars were first used at the siege of Grave in 1674.