Object Title

32 pr gun

32 pr gun

Date

1690-1710

Object Number

XIX.38

Provenance

Recovered in 1841 from the wreck of the Edgar (70guns) by a team of divers under the command of col. C.W. Paisley, Director of the Royal Engineers Establishment, Chatham.

Physical Description

The second reinforce bears the Tudor rose crowned, the reinforce being incised with a Broad Arrow. The number 16 engraved between the royal badge and the rigth trunnion. In a badly corroded condition

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 118 in (299.7 cm), Overall length: 129 in (327.7 cm)

Calibre

approx 6.6 in _ (16.7 cm)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.70.

Notes

The ship blew up at Spithead in 1711, with the loss of most of the crew. The gun, which has been much damaged by the action of the sea water, is first mentioned in the 1845 Guide (P.123).