Object Title

5.7 in mortar - Royal Mortar

5.7 in mortar - Royal Mortar

Date

1811

Object Number

XIX.206

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The reinforce is engraved with the monogram of George III. The piece has been converted for friction-tube ignition; it has a flat vent patch with a copper-bushed vent, in front of the latter being two holes probably for a lanyard guide plate. The new vent patch has partly covered the names of the founders and date,I.& H. KING 1811, which have therefore been restamped on the chase, with the number of the piece, 125, below. The weight 1-1-16 is stamped on the breech and the foundry numbers B19 125 on the underside

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 15 in (38.1 cm) Weight: 1 cwt 1 qtr 16 lb (70.8 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 125

Calibre

5.7 in (14.5 cm)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.114, p.103.

Notes

This mortar was registered as proved 27 November 1811 with the comments, 'Chase .01 too narrow', vent pricks .125 forward (W.P.R 11) For John and Henry King see No.109, 11, 123.


'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.