Object Title

6 pr gun and carriage

6 pr gun and carriage

Date

1800

Object Number

XIX.611

Provenance

Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

The first reinforce is marked with a Broad Arrow and with a George III cypher. The base ring is cut with quarter scales, 1-3. The gun is mounted on a cast iron open framed carriage numbered 53 and marked 6PR and 14-3-22 K. Both quoins original

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 95.5 in, Diameter of trunnions: 3 and 5/8 in, Diameter of muzzle: 11 in, Diameter of breech: 14.5 in Weight: Carriage: 14 cwt 3 qtr 22 lb

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 17 (?)

Calibre

3.625 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: W & Co Right trunnion: 17

Associations

Places England

Notes

Walker


Samuel Walker: Rotherham (Yorkshire)
The firm of Samuel Walker & Co was founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746.
From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817.


'Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs)'
Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.