Object Title

Percussion muzzle-loading rifle

Percussion muzzle-loading rifle

Date

1830

Object Number

XII.4499

Provenance

Formerly IWM No.19,876 (When temporarily stored from about 1927 to 1938, a possible transfer was being considered under the Cottesloe Committee criteria.). Formerly in the museum of artillery collection, the Rotunda. 1874 cat No.1255. 1856 cat No.VII/65. Transferred via the Cottesloe committee, 1927

Physical Description

The lock has a quite unmarked lockplate which has a rounded tail and is fitted flush with the stock, retained by a single sidenail. The hammer is flat and swept well forward, with a well-curved spur and a fish mouth shaped nose. The lock is of rather poor quality manufacture.
Full-length stock of unusual shape, having a very short small which is sharply downswept, and a heavy butt. The fore-end cap is missing, the fore-end having an iron ramrod retained by a plain tubular iron forward pipe and tailpipe. The plain iron triggerguard has a large bow shaped with three finger notches. The trigger is not of any special type. The sidenail washer is a plain iron plate resembling a pair of upswept horns. The heavy butt has a cheekrest on both sides. Unerneath it are the remains of a leather sling. The curved buttplate is of rectangular section iron approximately 1/2 ins thick.
Plain iron octagonal barrel, of rather poor quality, with gently swamped forward end. The breech block is fitted with a faceted nipple seat of drum type. Behind the tang screw hole is a smaller threaded hole. The backsight is a single open notch on a small long bead on a cross-slide. The bore has septagonal rifling. The barrel is attached to the stock by two pins.
Before cleaning the right side of the butt had a painted number 7 over 65 (Rotunda Woolwich inventory number). The top of the small had the 7 over 65 repeated, over which had been nailed a small plastic plaque with the number 876. Tied to the triggerguard was a paper label, reading; 'Removed from Class XXIV. BRICK TOWER, Formerly XXIV.446. Dec.1949'.
The 1906 Catalogue of the Rotunda describes this piece as a 'Hungarian hunting rifle, mid 18th century with flintlock altered to percussion'

Dimensions

BarrelLength652mm
OverallLength988mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number none visible

Calibre

.65 in

Associations

Notes

Removed from the Bowyer Tower Store November 1977.