Object Title

Field gun - Model 1927

Field gun - Model 1927

Date

1929

Object Number

XIX.349

Provenance

Purchased from Viking Arms Ltd., 29th May 1985.

Physical Description

The short heavy barrel has a cylindrical breech section for over two-thirds of its length. The remaining forward part of the barrel is of tapered circular section, and has a simple moulding around the muzzle. There is no breech ring, the breech block (which is hinged from a rectangular socket on the right side of the breech), enters two sections of tapered thread cut within the rear of the barrel itself. From the fired position the mechanism is operated by first pressing in a small triangular headed catch projecting from the breech adjacent to the hinge. By them pressing down the grip of the breech handle, thus unlocking the breech and swinging the handle to the right, the breech block is first rotated to disengage the segments of thread and then swung outwards. A small L-shaped pivoting lever adjacent to the hinge ejects the spent cartridge. Having loaded a fresh round of fixed ammunition the breech is swung shut, locking automatically and is ready to fire either by pulling a lanyard attached to a trigger bar across the breech block, or by drawing back a handle on the left rear of the recuperator mounting, which is attached to a sliding rod which connects directly with the trigger bar.
The muzzle is cut with vertical and horizontal cross-lines, adjacent to which are the following numbers: to the right of the top line, 1; to the left of the bottom line, 13; above the left line, 19; and above the right line, 7. The top of the breech is stamped in Russian:
KRASNUY PUTILOVZTS*
ARSENAL
MARK
No 46 1929g
LENINGRAD
WEIGHT / WEIGHT
WITH BREECH/ WITHOUT BREECH
229,5kg / 217,4 kg
*Krasnuy Putilovzts translates as '(of) Revolutionary Putilov'; Putilov being a major Russian armament factory.


The top of the breech face is stamped : No 46. A Russian character (rather like 'pi') within a square. The rear face of the firing lever is also stamped No 46. The bore is rifled within twenty four rectangular grooves approximately twice the width of the lands.
The barrel sits in a slot in the top of the twin-cylinder slabshaped recuperator. The recuperator is fitted with trunnions and at the rear underside with two toothed quadrants to facilitate elevation. The left side of the recuperator's rear end has the direct-firing lever already mentioned, and a sight-mounting bracket. The forward left side of the recuperator is painted in black letters with the word GLVSERIINIA, ( probably Finnish and so far untranslated).
The carriage has a long one-piece trail formed from a U-shaped steel pressing. The rear of the trail is fitted with a spade, a towing eye, two lifting handles and a socket for a tubular steel handspike. Behind a small sheet steel transom in the tail is a small rectangular steel tool-box. Two technical information plates have been removed from a flat plate transom beneath the breech of the barrel. The axle is a heavy curved I-section steel beam and traverse of the barrel is achieved by moving the carriage across this axle by means of a handwheel. The recuperator's trunnions fit into forward-leaning cups with quickly detachable hinged capsquares. Traverse and elevation handwheels are on the left of the carriage. A small rectangular steel shield is mounted on props rivetted to the forward end of the carriage. A larger outer shield, with top and bottom panels which hinge forward for ease of transport, bolts onto the outer ends of the axle. The inner face of this shield is painted with stencilled yellow figures: 40 km/h. The large and extremely heavy armour-plate dished disc wheels are fitted with 1150 x 150 mm pneumatec tyres of Russian manufacture, with a chevron shaped tread pattern. The wheels are quickly detachable, being secured onto the stout tapered ends of the axle by pairs of steel pins attached to a curved rectangular section steel link bar. Each wheel has two flat steel handles bolted to its outer face.
The tubular steel handspike fits into carrying clips on the right side of the trail, and into similar clips on the left side a two-part brass bristled wooden bore brush (with brass collars and a canvas head cover) is fitted, together with a white topped iron shoed wooden staff, whose purpose is not yet clear. A hemp firing-lanyard with wooden toggle, a canvas breech-cover, and a leather muzzle-cover are present. For road transportation at night a small circlar red reflector is fitted to the muzzle cover, and a triangular red reflector (marked SUOMI FINLAND) is attached to the lower part of the main shield.
Supplied with the gun, in a green-painted wooden box, whose lid bears the letters SA in white paint, is a British sight, ' DIAL SIGHT MK II/R & J BECK LTD/1917/NO.17807'.
With the exception of the outer components of the breech mechanism, which are blacked, all parts of this gun are painted drab green

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length Barrel: 49.25 in, Length Carriage: (ie: overall length of trail): 122 in, Overall width of axle: 65 in Weight: Total (from printed source): 1720 lb (780 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 46

Calibre

76.2 mm

Associations

Notes

This gun was one of a large number kept by the Finnish forces as reserve defence material and which were recently declared obsolete. Viking Arms purchased approximately forty of these guns, which were all in very sound and complete condition, having been carefully maintained in Finland in case of emergency. The gun chosen by the Armouries was selected because its barrel bore the earliest date of any in the group.
The model 1927 Infantry Gun was one of the more successful Russian designs, and saw widespread use, having been introduced with the intention what it would replace all other infantry guns in Russian service. Its most notable features were the simple but sturdy breech mechanism, which afforded the crew extra protection. After 1941 large numbers of these guns fell into German hands, so much so that they were taken German service under the title of ' 7.62 cm Infantriekanonehaubitze 290 (r)' (or 'IKH 290 (r) '). The captured guns were fitted with German sights and the Germans even went to the extent of manufacturing ammunition for them.