Object Title

Right pauldron (upper part)

Right pauldron (upper part)

Date

1600-1620

Object Number

III.3534

Provenance

Bowyer Tower, AS 44 (1990).

Physical Description

It is now formed of five lames overlapping outwards from the third. The first and third lames are deeper than the rest. The first three lames extend inwards over the chest and the back, while the last four lames extend no further than the inside of the arm. The third lame is expanded downwards at both the front and the rear, to the level of the bottom of the fourth lame. The outer edges of the expanded portions are flanged where they overlap thr inner ends of the fouth lame. The main edges of the first three lames have plain, inward turns, bordered by eighteen round-headed lining-rivets, of which those on the second lame are dummies. The lining-band would have been retained at the lower corners of the first and second lames, at both the front and rear, by externally flush rivets of which only that at the rear of the second lame is preserved. The first three lames are connected to one another at the rear by round-headed rivets with square, internal washers, now missing from the rivet connecting the second and third lames. The lames were further connected to one another by three internal leathers, secured in each case by two columns of rivets, all now missing like the leathers themselves. The first leather runs down the centre of the pauldron; the second, some way forward of it; and the third down the front of the pauldron. To compensate for the loss of the connecting-leathers, the first three lames have subsequently been joined to one another by round-headed rivets passing through the outer of the two rivet-holes for the third leather, and through the corresponding construction-holes formerly occupied by decorative, round-headed rivets. The third to fifth lames are joined to one another at the rear by round-headed sliding-rivets with octagonal, internal washers. The lames were further connected to one another at the centre and at the front by two internal leathers which were a continuation of the first and second leathers connecting the first three lames. The original leathers and rivets are now missing. The first leather has been replaced, and is secured by a single, externally flush rivet in each lame, occupying the foremost of the two original leathering-holes. To compensate for the loss of the second leather, the third to fifth lames have been joined to one another by a single, round-headed rivet in each case. That joining the third to the fourth lames occupies the foremost of the two original leathering-holes, while that joining the fourth to the fifth lame occupies the rearmost of the two original leathering-holes. The apax of the first lame is pierced with a large, rectangular slot through which the strap that connected the pauldron to to the collar originally protruded. The stap would have engaged a large, iron buckle that is attached by a single, round-headed rivet with a square, internal washer, just below the slot. The buckle has a single, rectangular loop, and a rectangular hasp which is decorated at its terminal with a V-shaped nick to either side of the rivet.
Painted black.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height: 25.0 cm (9.9 in), Width: 27.2 cm (10.7 in), Depth: 23.5 cm (9.2 in) Weight: 1.15 kg (2 lb 8.5 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

None. Painted in white characters at the point of the shoulder, with the number '345'.

Associations