Object Title

Garrison carriage

Garrison carriage

Date

1800-1840

Object Number

XIX.273

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

Constructed of two skeleton brackets connected by the axles and by two transom bolts. The top girder on each side is stamped 24Pr 20Cwt representing the size and weight of the gun for which the carriage was designed. The left side bears the initials of the founders BB & B in relief while the upper edge is stamped with the weight 17-0-0. The nature of the gun for which the carriage is intended, is also stamped on both front and rear axles and on the stool bed. There are iron trucks pierced with oval openings.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 56 in (1422 mm) Weight: 17 cwt (863.6 kg)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.176.

Notes

Iron skeleton carriages were introduced in the latter half of the 18th century mainly for garrison use and were popular in countries where the climate caused rapid deterioration of wooden carriages. The English type of four-wheeled carriage of which No.273 is a good example was based on that patented by Stephen Remnant, the Master Smith to the Board of Ordnance, in 1761 (Pat. No.765). An earlier patent taken out in 1753 (No.683) by Louis de Villers for a cast-iron rampart carriage which had only three wheels and was designed to be easily dismantled appears to have been adopted mainly by the East India Companies. Cast-iron carriages continued in service until at least 1890, many being preserved after that for decorative purposes.