Object Title

24 pr howitzer - Millar System

24 pr howitzer - Millar System

Date

1853

Object Number

XIX.223

Provenance

Purchased 1956

Physical Description

Although shaped like a normal gun externally it is short in proportion to the calibre and has a Gomer chamber. The vent patch has two threaded holes, probably for a friction-tube pin and lanyard guide; there is a dispart patch at the muzzle. The first reinforce is engraved with the monogram of Queen Victoria, the first reinforce ring with the weight 12-1-22, the second reinforce ring with the registered number DXXI. The last is repeated on the under side together with the foundry number W31 521. On the chase is the monogram of Fitzroy, Lord Raglan, Master General of the Ordnance, 1852-5. The base ring is inscribed S. ECCLES 1853 The cascabel button has lugs to receive the head of an elevating screw

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 56 5 in (142.2 cm) Weight: 12 cwt 1 qtr 22 lb (632.3 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

5.65 in (14.3 cm)

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.87.

Notes

'Samuel Eccles'
Originally a Modeller, became Foreman of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolowich, retiring in 1855 (W.O.47/2755. p.1511). This type of howitzer was designed by Lieut. General William Millar.
'Lieut. General' William Millar'
Responsible for the introduction of shell-firing guns of large calibre. The Palliser conversion system, named after the patentee 'Captain William Palliser' and adopted in 1863, involved boring out the gun and inserting a coiled wrought-iron tube which was rifled and retained in position by an iron collar at the muzzle and a screw plug on the under side slightly forward of the trunnions. These 64pdr converted guns were first issued for sea service but became obsolete for naval use by the late 1870's and were then employed for land service ('Service Ordnance 1886),215-17.' Most of the conversions were done at the Royal Gun Factory. Hundreds were contracted out to the Elswick Ordnance Company, which in 1863 was incorporated into the Sir W.G.Armstrong Company. 'Armstrong' the renowned engineer, was the inventor of the rifled breech-loading gun with a steel core and a wrought-iron jacket adopted for British forces in 1859 and superseded by his rifled muzzle-loader The Ridsdale, Northumberland, began production in 1839.