Object Title

24 pr gun

24 pr gun

Date

1806

Object Number

XIX.62

Provenance

Captured off Boulogne roads on 21 September 1811.

Physical Description

This gun appears to be one of the short 24pdr proposed by the 'Systeme An XI'. There are no mouldings apart from the muzzle astragal. The trunnions have shoulders, the dolphins are plain with faceted upper surfaces and the prominent base ring has a flat on either side, probably to clear the cheeks of a narrow carriage. The name of the piece, LA VICTOIRE, is engraved on a scroll on the chase, the breech having the cypher of Napoleon I crowned and framed in a wreath. The base ring is inscribed FONDU A AVIGNON PAR LE SIEUR CAPON LE 9 MARS 1806 GRAVE PAR LES Srs CARME ET FILS. The left trunnion is engraved No.110, the figures on the right trunnion Pd 1379.428 are probably the weight

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 100 in (254 cm), Overall length: 110 in (279.4 cm)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 110

Calibre

5.8 in (14.7 cm)

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.125-126.

Notes

'Paul Capon'
Of Avignon 1757-1838. Capon was a lawyer who was appointed one of the three 'Commissaires' responsible for arming the Republican forces during the government of the National Convention (1792-95). Later he became an industrialist and established eleven factories in the Department of Vaucluse for the production of war material and agricultural implements, including a foundry at Avignon.
Lieutenant Edgar in his 1861 'Inventory' identified this as one of the guns of the prame 'Ville de Lyon' captured by the frigate H.M.S. Naiad, under the command of Captain Philip Carteret, when operating off Boulogne roads on 21 September 1811. Carteret was attacking Napoleon's invasion fleet of flat-bottomed barges or prames (see Clowes, 'Royal Navy', V,493). The prames were each armed with twelve 9ft long 24pdrs., the gunners acting as oarsmen, while the holds were fitted as stables for fifty horses. A list of the guns taken from 'the Volle de Lyon Praam', prepared in October 1811, does not mention one with a foundry number of 110, but does include one numbered 10 and another numbered 100, either of which could be a misreading of the foundry number on the Tower gun (Armouries MS 1. 78/1).
Paul Capon, 1757-1838, lawyer and industrialist, was one of the three 'Commissaires' for arms and gunpowder responsible for arming the republican armies during the government of the National Convention, 1792-5. Later at Avignon, for the production of war material and agricultural tools.