Object Title

Flintlock muzzle-loading military musket - Model 1777/IX

Flintlock muzzle-loading military musket - Model 1777/IX

Date

1814

Object Number

XII.2235

Provenance

Probably transferred from Rotunda Museum, Woolwich

Physical Description

The lock is a standard Model 1777 pattern with the year IX type of steel. The plate is stamped ahead of the cock 'Mre. ROYALE de VERSAILLES' and controller's poincons. Stocked to 2 5/8ths in. of the muzzle the barrel is retained by three brass bands of standard Model 1777 design except that all three are retained by springs-a year IX modification- the upper double strapped band by a pinned spring from the rear and the two remianing bands by springs in fron of each. The middle band has the upper sling loop rivetted to the underside and the lower sling loop is rivetted through the front of the trigger guard bow. Brass two piece trigger guard of standard design the iron plate having finger grips. The iron buttplate is of standard design except that the front of the tang is finished off as a large fleur-de-lys. The brass sideplate is rounded on the surface and is straight between the two lock-screws with a swell at the centre and a rear extension formed as a curl and terminating ina fleur-de-lys. The comb of the butt is very slightly hand-rail in form and is rounded. The right of the butt bears a circular manufacture stamp with MR at the centre and 1814 DC 9b C around the edge. The stock is stamped MA 961 and in white paint has 6 above 97 and two plastic tags 486 and 588.
The barrel is octagonal at the breech and is stamped on the right side MR with sunken H in an oval and 181? on the right flat; a sunken H in a square and a star over C in an oval and two indecipherable marks on the left flat ; on top of the barrel in gold script is COMPAIGNIE des CENT SUISSES du ROI

Dimensions

BarrelLength44.69inches
BarrelLength1135mm
OverallLength1530mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number none visible

Calibre

0.69 in

Inscriptions and Marks

none

Associations

Places France

Notes

1815 Inventory List No. 123; had bayonet when it left Paris. 151 of this first type were manufactured in Versailles in 1814 to arm the Swiss Guard-or Foot Guards in Ordinary to the King at the return of Louis XVIII at the first Restoration.